Hello, Hello, Hello to all!
Again we find ourselves in the Computer Lab at UNC-G. Oh, I'm sorry I mean the Super Lab. Honestly, there is nothing too super about it except for the super long time it takes for Josh's papers to print out. It's not his fault. His pesky teachers put all of his assignments in pdf form and it takes fo' eva to print a few pages.
I gave my first talk this Sunday in Church since I was 15. I wanted to say "Hello, my name is Laura Sheets and my favorite color is green." Josh didn't really think that was "grown up" enough for the talk.
I figured since Josh and I aren't making baby's yet and really don't have too much to post, that I would share my little talk with all of you.
Here ya go!
Hello, my name is Laura Sheets and I just moved here from St. George, Utah. Before making the big move, I married the love of my life Josh Sheets in the St. George Temple.
Last week, Josh and I got to Church about 30 mins. early, because we thought church started at 11. We sat out in the foyer and went over our lessons. It was getting closer to 11:30 so Josh said that we should proabably go in and sit down. I told him we should wait because the Bishopric might ask us to pray. I guess you could say that I get a little nervous about praying in front of lots of people. We went in and sat down. Right away Brother Wyric came over and asked Josh to say the opening prayer. Then he asked me if I would give a talk on prayer. It's times like these that I know Heavenly Father has a sense of humor.
I was asked to speak on the steps of prayer. There are 5 basic steps to prayer-Opening, thanking, asking, closing and listening.
First----Opening. We open our prayers by addressing our Heavenly Father.
Second---- Thanking---in the book True to the Faith (a gospel reference) it says:
"...Be grateful for the tremendous opportunities you have. Be thankful to your parents. Let them know of your gratitude. Thank your friends and your teachers. Express appreciation to everyone who does you a favor or assists you in any way.
Thank your Heavenly Father for His goodness to you. You can express your gratitude to God by acknowledging His hand in all things, thanking Him for all that He gives you, keeping His commandments, and serving others. Thank Him for His Beloved Son, Jesus Christ. Express thanks for the Savior’s great example, for His teachings, for His outreaching hand to lift and help, for His infinite Atonement. Thank the Lord for His restored Church. Thank Him for all that it offers you. Thank Him for friends and family. Let a spirit of thanksgiving guide and bless your days and nights." ......also D&C 46:32
Third----Ask----Heavenly Father knows what we need. He knows what to bless us with and when to bless us. All we have to do is have faith and ask. I'd like to share a little story from the life of Pres. Monson....
"When our oldest son was about three, he would kneel with his mother and me in our evening prayer. I was serving as the bishop of the ward at the time, and a lovely lady in the ward, Margaret Lister, lay perilously ill with cancer. Each night we would pray for Sister Lister. One evening our tiny son offered the prayer and confused the words of the prayer with a story from a nursery book. He began: “Heavenly Father, please bless Sister Lister, Henny Penny, Chicken Licken, Turkey Lurkey, and all the little folks.” We held back the smiles that evening. Later we were humbled as Margaret Lister sustained a complete recovery. We do not demean the prayer of a child. After all, our children have more recently been with our Heavenly Father than have we."
4th--Closing----
We close in the name of Jesus Christ. The reason we end in the name of Christ is because he is the mediator between us and God.
5th----Listening-- This is the most overlooked or forgotten step. After we finish praying we need to take a few minutes and listen to our thoughts and our feelings. Prayer is a conversation with God. We need to give Him time to respond.
To sum everything up, I would like to read the Bible Dictionary's definition of prayer:
"As soon as we learn the true relationship in which we stand toward God (namely, God is our Father, and we are his children), then at once prayer becomes natural and instinctive on our part . Many of the so-called difficulties about prayer arise from forgetting this relationship. Prayer is the act by which the will of the Father and the will of the child are brought into correspondence with each other. The object of prayer is not to change the will of God, but to secure for ourselves and for others blessings that God is already willing to grant, but that are made conditional on our asking for them. Blessings require some work or effort on our part before we can obtain them. Prayer is a form of work, and is an appointed means for obtaining the highest of all blessings."
TESTIMONY----I have one. And I testify that my husband rocks. In fact he rocks you like a Hurricane ( for those of you in UT that is Rock you like a Hur-uh-Khun)
Sorry---Josh is a faster typer than I am and got a little carried away. Bad husband! No cookie!
Everyone said that I did a great job. I think I did too. Thats not prideful is it???
I have an opportunity to get a job in a law firm as a defense attorney. Apparently they keep asking me about some bar exam. I keep telling them I'm a latter-day saint and that I stay out of bars, but they don't seem to get it. It's like they want me to take a test to be a bar tender or something. But naw, fo' rizzles yo.......
Sorry I had to go to the bathroom and Josh got control of the keyboard again. I have an opportunity to work in a law office as an administrative assistant. I don't know what the pay would be, but it would beat the heck out of grocery stores.
Josh is becoming a little baker man. He made me scrum-diddly-umptous meals while I was working. I even caught him wearing an apron. He is secure in his manhood though. He makes a great Banana Bread. But besides that he is my little school boy, working had to make A's.
I don't know what our Valentines day plans are yet. Josh mentioned something about dressing up like Cupid and shooting people with real arrows. I'm not sure how that would go though. Really though, Josh had mentioned going on a dinner train ride. http://www.gsmr.com/
He said he would protect me if bandits or Indians(feather head, not dot head) attack the train.
I would just like to leave you all with a little golden nugget of wisdom that I shared with my husband at about 4am. I was wrapped around my husband like an octopus and he asked me to scoot over because he had about an inch before he fell off the bed. I rolled over and the bed was a little sunk in or something. My 4am brain couldn't comprehend or form the right phrase---so I simply said "Hey babe.....The beds a taco."
So take a few moments and ponder that in the quiet times of your life. "The beds a taco." I'm so deep!
Well, until next time my little Smurflings---Keep Smurfing.
We love you all!
Laura and Josh
ps--- Josh says the Tarheels rule and everyone else drools.
Tuesday, January 30, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment